pictures taken at the Bilmore House in Asheville, NC, late December
I must say that August and January are my least favorite months, and I am not even in school anymore. There's just nothing going on and the weather is at it's worst. Finding inspiration and happiness in the everyday proves to be a challenge because it's pretty hard to top the freedom and nostalgia that summer brings (August) and the back-to-back holidays of October - December (January).
Sometimes I try to appreciate those months for what they are. Like in January, I try to appreciate the dead trees, the grey sky, and cold rain. It's quintessential to the season and if you're listening to the right music while taking it all in, it just all makes sense. To me at least.
Here are some songs that help me understand winter:
1. The Boxer - Mumford and Sons (This cover is so so good. I love their twangy take on this classic song.)
2. Wait - M83
3. Slow Life (with Victoria Legrand) - Grizzly Bear
4. Sweetest Kill - Broken Social Scene
5. Dead in the Water - Ellie Goulding
6. Cold - Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz
7. Johnny Has Gone For a Soldier - Goldmund (beautiful instrumental piece)
8. Dark Days - Punch Brothers
9. Ghosts - James Vincent McMorrow (for anyone who loves Bon Iver)
10. Lay Low - Shovels and Rope